Sunday, June 19, 2005

Lost in the Shuffle

With the frenzy surrounding my grandfather's passing, the tradition of Father's Day has gotten lost between all that has happened the past 12 hours. I didn't realize what day it was until I saw this headline on MSN.com that said, "Don't forget Dad today." Usually on Father's Day, my mother and I would get in on a conference call and dial up everyone in Houston to wish them a Happy Poppa's Day, including Abuelo.

Not this time.

Once our family patriarch, my grandfather is no longer here to hear our phone call or our questions about whether or not he received our latest Father's Day card with a scantily clad woman on the cover. Regardless, however, I know that he can now hear me when I say, "Happy Father's Day, viejo."

For everyone else, give your pops a very happy Father's Day. Make it much more meaningful than just another Hallmark holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker