Sunday, February 06, 2005

Top 10 Most-Played Songs of January 2005

Last month was certainly an eventful one, as all Januaries seem to be. With the beginning of the New Year in Houston, my departure from NYC, and my subsequent return to classes, the past month was one filled with tons of activity. When I wasn't stuck inside closets or running to classes ON TIME (more on that later), I was listening to my iPod, hoping to steal an inspiration of clarity from the lyrical ingenuity of some of my favorite artists. So, without further hesitation, here are the songs that I found myself singing along to even during those awkward, closet-like moments.

10. "Volcano" by Damien Rice, off of the "O" album (new)

9. "Bridging the Gap by Nas and Olu Dara, off of the "Street's Disciple" album (new)

8. "Spin" performed by Lifehouse, off of the "Stanley Climbfall" album (new)

7. "Delicate" by Damien Rice, off of the "O" album (new)

6. "Somwhere in Between" by Lifehouse, off of the "No Name Face" album (new)

5. "Taylor" by Jack Johnson, off of the "On and On" album (new)

4. "Flake" by Jack Johnson, off of the "Brushtale Fairytales" album (new)

3. "Bubble Toes" by Jack Johnson, off of the "Brushtale Fairytales" album (new)

2. "Humble Me" by Norah Jones, off of the "Feels Like Home" album (new)

1. "Sky Is Falling" by Lifehouse, off of the "Stanley Climbfall" album (new)



Wow...a completely brand-new top-10. Not a single holdover from previous months...Five artists, 10 songs. I guess musically, I'm taking this "New Year" thing seriously. (shrugs) Anywhoo, so one of the big artists this month was Damien Rice, this great acoustic, folk guitar dude I was introduced to over a year and a half-ago when I first began working at Starbucks. In recent months, he's been getting a lot of play from a lot of people thanks to the release of the soundtrack for the movie, "Closer," on which the track, "The Blower's Daughter" has been gaining a lot of support. If you haven't already, check this dude out.

Lifehouse scored big on my playlists this month, across two different albums, no less. So big, that as a matter of fact, if this were to be my Top-25 list, they would occupy 10 slots. It was like that. I really can't put my finger on exactly what happened, but I guess maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are due to release another album in the next few months. The #1 song, "Sky is Falling," actually has nothing to do with me being depressed or nostalgic or anything like that. Instead, it has everything to do with those freaking killer icicles I had to dodge to avoid on my way to class. There's nothing like singing, "I'm alive, but tell me I am free, I got eyes, but tell me can I see; the sky is falling, and no one knows," while dodging icy projectiles falling from the sky. You guys should try it some time. :-)

And then of course...there's my meng, Jack Johnson. It's not just the fact that I can now strum my guitar alongside his tracks, or that his songs are really fun to sing in the most random of places. He's just...cool. Check out his tracks if you haven't already.

So yeah, this month was all about the guitar. Even Norah Jones' track, "Humble Me" is an acoustic set. The only one that has nothing to do with guitar was "Bridging the Gap" with Nas, and even then, there was that bluesy cut on that track. So, the effect was all the same.

Only one song in the top-10 was purchased on iTMS...the others were from actual albums bought over the years.

So, I bid you, "Happy Listening!"

And remember...

DON'T STEAL MUSIC...unless of course you happen to be getting back at an significant other for not getting you those roses or buns on Valentine's Day; THEN you can take all their music, among other things...:-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker