Sunday, February 06, 2005

Here's to a Little Diversity...

Last semester, I was in this huge rut, academically. I had so much trouble concentrating on even the easiest of assignments; I would literally stare at a blank screen for hours. I had no idea what was going on with me; combined with a cold that never seemed to go away, everyday seemed like another day spent walking around with no sense of purpose or worth. I tried doing work in different venues, or engaging in outside activities to get my mind motivated. But alas, nothing was working. I couldn't put my finger on it. Some people called it "post-London" depression, and others just plain called it, "a lack of buns," but whatever it was, it was bad. I would sit in classes, and just feel so BORED. Everything began to sound the same. No matter what class I was in, it felt like we were talking about the same exact topics over and over again, and the papers that were assigned had to be written in the same, dry academic style. I hated it. And well, folks, I paid dearly for it, academically. I almost got kicked out of SU. However, after a little discussion with my teachers, and the Deans of my college ("You mean I'm not going to get kicked out? Yay!") I got another chance to make it right again. So, all my grades from last semester are under review, and this semester, I decided to break from the norm and take classes in subject areas I've never taken before...

...And now, I don't think I've been this happy with my class schedule in a long time. Creative Writing (AKA: Let my professors read the Daily Musings), Guitar class (AKA: Try to become the Latino John Mayer, lol), Video Art (Where I get to make stupid ass video projects and call it "art"), Philosophy of Post-Colonialism (AKA: The "Zulay and Ray Show"), Tudor Britain (AKA: Relive memories of London), and finally, Legal Communication (AKA: Latin). Hopefully, with the Video and Guitar class, there will be enough diversity in my schedule to keep me on my toes.

Wish me luck, guys. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're getting your groove back. I was afraid I was going to have to open up a can of whoopass on ya - just kidding!

L.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Freebird said...

Sounds like some really interesting classes. Have fun with it.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker