Monday, August 22, 2005

Ahh, My House Is Being Overrun!!

This past Friday, I received a completely unexpected call.

"Yo, Ray, this is Nelson. I'm on my way to the house and I'm staying over for a little bit."

What?!

Apparently, one of my two roommates told this kid, Nelson, who's this sophomore who pledged my roomie's fraternity last year, that he could come and stay over in the house for a couple of days until he could move into his place in the dorms. Nelson wanted to arrive in Syracuse before the dorms officially opened up to returning students, so he needed a place to stay in the meantime.

The problem was that no one told me about it. I was the only one that had the keys to the house, so if I wasn't there, how was he going to get in? Or, I could've had "guests" over that he didn't exactly need to know or see. (I try and keep my "guests" hidden because I don't need everyone knowing my business) Also, I had wanted to give the place a once over with some cleaning products to get it all nice for everyone who was coming back. I didn't want them to walk into an icky apartment. With less than an hour before Nelson was supposed to arrive, I had very little time to get everything decent.

I felt my blood pressure rise the more I thought about the situation. I was getting ready to call up either Pedro and Edwin and let 'em have it for not keeping me in the loop. And I actually did call, but lucky enough for either of them, they didn't pick up their phones, so I got busy with cleaning, picking up wrappers here, moving over some boxes there, washing a couple of dishes from that morning's breakfast, and setting up the bedrooms. I don't want people thinking that I live like a slob, so, hey, you know, I did my best in making sure everything was spotless...

No sooner had Nelson arrived when it all went to hell.

In a matter of a couple of hours, the house was overrun. All of a sudden, my living room was cluttered, and there were boxes everywhere. Then, yesterday, my roommate, Edwin arrived from NYC. Which, of course, for the second time, no one told me.

Even more clutter.

I was showing Edwin through the house and I showed him our extra bedroom, telling him my big plans to turn it into a "chill spot" during the year if no one moved into it.

"Nah, man, Morgan's moving in with us. You know that, right?"

Of course I didn't know, Ed. Just call me "Loopie", because I'm always out the loop in this house.

Sigh. My fun, quiet times in my new apartment are sadly over. Now, I'm going to have to crack the whip to make sure that no matter what, this apartment remains clean, whether I'm in the loop or not.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, now you don't have to feel like the only one that didn't get done on time. You think living with girls was bad, wait till you spend a month with 3 guys who leave stuff everywhere and could care less that you complain about it. Multiply living with Morgan x3 and you'll have an idea. My only advice - set rules early and stick to them - no backsies no second chances. Oh, and I would invest in a lock for my room - no borrowing stuff either!!

L.

11:38 AM  
Blogger djkibblesnbits said...

Well, thankfully, Edwin already realizes the importance of keeping this house clean.

"Man, this house is NICE. We have to keep this place in good condition."

I couldn't agree more. He's talking about getting some cleaning products n stuff, which, looks like a promising development.

I gotta see what Pedro is going to be like. Morgan shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as we set down ground rules right from the get-go.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Freebird said...

I agree with L, set the ground rules early and stick to 'em. Good luck with it.

1:00 PM  
Blogger o said...

Damn, what else don't you know?

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker