Sunday, February 26, 2006

So Sick of Fevers. And Love Songs.

After fighting a fever from hell, I can say with confidence and dash of vertigo for good measure that I feel better. Good enough to be able to type out a blog entry without blacking out.

It sucks being sick. For one, it kills your social life. I mean, who the hell wants to be around someone who looks like they just challenged Death to a staring contest and lost?

Just to give you an idea how debilitating this particular virus was, I'm convinced that both myself and my friend Fabricio had the same exact strain. The result? He wound up in E.R. and needed I.Vs to keep him hydrated. We're definitely not talking about some two-bit cold here. I probably would've had to have gone to the hospital too if I hadn't fought myself and scrambled for some much needed supplies. Imagine seeing someone stumbling about in a supermarket, pale as shit, struggling to pick up a carton of orange juice. That was me right there. Toss in typical Syracuse weather (AKA: Blizzard) and BAM, you have an event of Olympic proportions. As a matter of fact, that should be an event at the Winter Olympics. The "Alpine Sickasshit Biathlon."

So, I've been resting up this entire weekend, lying in bed, wrapped up like a little burrito, hoping to recover just enough to get back to my work. The only good thing about being in bed the whole weekend was that I was able to have my very own "Lost" marathon. Courtesy of BitTorrent and the iTunes Music Store, I saw the entire 1st season of the hit show and parts of the 2nd season, snuggled up in bed. If you haven't gotten into this show, I highly suggest you check out the pilot episode, available on iTunes for 2 bucks, and see what all the fuss is about. "Lost" is like televised crack. You get addicted right from the get go.

This marks my first official published entry in the "Coffee Break" in more than a month. I'm sure I lost a bunch of regular readers, but whatever. It's been... "interesting" these past few months for me. Long story short, I was forced to come back to SU for yet another semester. I had to scramble to not only find funding for the additional semester, but also to pay some ridiculously high heating bills that my roommates and I accrued last semester. I also came really close to losing my "single" status, only to catch the prospect in one lie after another. These stories, as well as many others, should be published relatively soon. Everyone who's been worrying about me (or at least wondering about me) needs to understand that I have a LOT on my plate this semester, so it might take awhile for the entire image to reveal itself.

As I rub my face and grimace in pain over the fact that I haven't shaved in four days, I'm looking over some of the e-mails that I've received from you since my writing hiatus began. While the majority of people asked the simple, "where are you," others came up with questions that I couldn't help but giggle over. Some even asked real questions. You guys know what you asked, so here are my answers, in no particular order:

1) No, I'm not dead. Two days ago, though, you would've thought it.

2) Sex keeping me away from blogging? LOL.

3) No, I did not get buried underneath a snowstorm.

4) Yes, I got deported.... no, you fucking moron. :-)

5) Wifed up? Nope. Not at all.

6) No, I did not finish college yet, unfortunately. I refuse to give Van Wilder a run for his money, though.

7) I'm really ambivalent about Apple switching to the Intel processor. I mean, for years, we've equated the Wintel alliance with everything that is evil in the world. Now that Macs are switching over, I suddenly find myself in a bit of a moral dilemma. The good news, though, is that the processor switch won't affect the OS. So, the new Intel Macs are still "Macs." As far as Apple making the OS available for generic Intel boxes... that's not going to happen. You know people are going to do whatever they can to hack the OS to get it to work on a regular PC, but, in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to bother. Part of what gives the Mac platform its advantage over Windows is the fact that the hardware and the OS are made by the same company. However, there is evidence that the new Intel Macs might be able to run Windows natively...

8) Me? Still in London? What have you been reading the past two years? It certainly wasn't my blog, that's for sure.

9) Let's see... I'm not sure what I want to do anymore when I leave college...more on that in another blog entry...

10) Now this one made me have juice come out of my nose in laughter... no, I'm not pledging. A couple of people that I know and love, however, are, at this very moment. I wish them all the luck in the world, and I look forward to seeing them on the other side.

11) When am I visiting you? Try calling me first. We gotta work our way up, you know?


Wonderful, wonderful questions. Keep 'em coming. Sure, it might take me two months to respond, but the point is that I respond, right? :-)

Now, let me get back to being wrapped up like a burrito as I watch yet another episode of "Lost"... it's crack, I tell you!

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Welcome back from the brink!

I've read that someone is offering a cash prize to the first person that can make a successful dual-boot of Windows XP/Mac OS (no emulation allowed). I think the prize is up to $11K.

There were a couple people who successfully hacked the Intel Mac O/S to make it usable on a PC (the beta versions) but Apple quickly shut them down. I think it's going to be a continual problem for them though.

Actually the hardware/os tie is one thing that keeps me away from Macs. As for the hardware quality issue, I'd just create a Mac certification program for vendors.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have labeled to entry "Postcards from the Edge". I knew something was up when you only looked at your Valentine's Day card yesterday!! I was like damn, I can't get no love! But I'm glad you're feeling better. Fevers can really kick your ass and make you feel as weak as a baby. Sorry I couldn't be there to wipe the sweat from your brow (HEE HEE). Me bubboo!!

L.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I was originally going to say that getting sick is a wonderful way to find out who really loves you. If a potential loved one finds out you're on death's door and they avoid you like the plague - drop em!! If they bring you chicken soup and rub Vick's on your chest while they offer to bring you more tea - that's a keeper. But your potential love failed your own test anyway. Sorry . . .

L.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Freebird said...

Lost is like crack. Love, love, love that show!! Hope you're feeling better.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker