Monday, September 06, 2004

The Top 10 Most-Played Songs of August 2004

Damn, it feels like I just freaking did this list of songs only yesterday for last month’s edition…geez…

It only goes to show you that time is flying on by, and sure enough, I’m back in Cuse before I could even realize it. So once again, here are the tunes that made up the last whole month I spent away from SU…

10. “Walnut Tree” by Keane, off the “Somewhere Only We Know” LP (new)

9. “Todo El Mundo” performed by Aguakate, off of the “De Otro Galaxia” album (new)

8. “Web” by the Roots, off of the “Tipping Point” album (new)

7. “Blame It On Me,” by Maria Mena, off of her “Another Phase” album (new)

6. “Rocksteady” by Marc Broussard, off of the “Carencro” album (new)

5. “Slow Motion” by Juvenile and Soulja Slim, off of the “Juve the Great” album (new)

4. “Float On” by Modest Mouse, off of the “Good News for People Who Love Bad News,” album (new)

3. “Pobre Diabla” by Don Omar, off of the “El Cangri.com” album (last month, #8)

2. “Can You Trust Them,” by the Film, off of their album, “The Gift” (new)

1. “Such Great Heights” by the Postal Service, off of their album, “Give Up” (new)


I think I might be wrong on this one, but for the first time since I started keeping track, an indie track tops the playlist for the month. Postal Service is this cool sounding electronipop band combining lead singer of Death Cab for Cutie, Ben Gibbard, with electronica guru Jimmy Tamborello. The result is this chill sound that you can vibe with wherever you go, particularly if you’re on the move all the time, like in NYC, or something. The song, “Such Great Heights” is like one of those tracks that seems as if it were meant for an iPod…

…The best part about that song is that it’s free, if you head to http://www.subpop.com/scripts/main/bands_page.php?id=412. Just scroll down, and look to your left to find the link to download a free version of “Such Great Heights” as well as “The District Sleeps Alone Tonight,” to get a feel of what this collabo sounds like. It doesn’t hurt to try. J

I remember hearing the “Can You Trust Them,” track in London while watching this car commercial…the tune got stuck in my head, and I searched all over looking for it, until finally, I found it, as well as the name of the band. I guess in my whole nostalgia kick for London, I began listening to this track a lot more during my travels…so there ya go on that one.

One of the awesome things I got to experience while working at Billboard was the chance to see up and coming artists do their thing, live, in a private performance for the staff of VNU Media. During my stay, I was able to see recording artist Marc Broussard (think of John Mayer, with a little less on the “old love” stuff, and more on vocals) perform, and even got to chat him up for all of 30 seconds. It was pretty cool having that chance to see an artist like that do their thing in the flesh. (He delivered a rousing acoustic rendition of his song, “Home” for us…it certainly got Anna talking…J ) I also got his entire album, “Carencro” for free, thanks to that infamous “free CD” stack at BB. The song, “Rocksteady” is a feel-good song about getting ready to party…which is pretty relevant to me, considering I’m all about partying nowadays.

So, that’s the list. I hope I’ve given some an impulse to go and try something new. Holla at the kid if you have any songs you feel deserve attention…remember, music should be shared among everyone…

Of course, we can’t STEAL it…(ahem, officially, that is…)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rocksteady! good, i'm glad you put it on the list, that song rocks, no pun intended. -Anna

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker