Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Now I REALLY Won't Shop At Wal-Mart

Yesterday, for an extra-credit assignment for one of my classes, I had to watch the documentary, "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" by Robert Greenwald. Basically, the movie details many of the wonderfully corrupt things that the Wal-Mart Corporation has done in order to solidify their position as the #1 corporation in the world. As if I didn't have enough reasons to hate Wal-Mart before, this documentary pretty much confirms many of the same things that i have been telling people for years about the company. The documentary itself is available now on DVD, and I highly recommend that everyone watches this documentary to gain some insight into the company that constantly parades around these commercials about "family values" and then turns around and betrays the very customers and associates that they make their money off of.

Some of the tactics utilized by the company sound eerily familiar... I was beginning to see some of the same practices within the Upstate NY district of Starbucks... hmm...

Unfortunately, one of my uncles is a manager of a Superstore in Houston. And unfortunately, he's brainwashed at the moment. I remember beginning to get into an argument with him last year about why I would never shop or work for Wal-Mart. As expected, he felt the need to defend his job. I decided to stop the conversation before it got too heated and before I made him feel like a buffoon for working for such an unethical company. I wonder how (or rather, if) his opinion of the company has changed a year later.

My roommate, Morgan, actually had considered working for Wally World whenever he graduated out of college as a manager. He asked what I thought about it, and I let him know how I felt about the company. I pretty much equate working for Wal-Mart on the same level as working for Philip Morris. (Or Altria, as the company is called now) How could anyone go to work every morning, knowing full well that your paycheck has been funded, in large part, thanks to the amoral practices instituted by your bosses? He tried to defend the company, pretty much spitting the textbook responses he learned here at the School of Management in Syracuse. But there really isn't any kind of defense for what the company has done to the American landscape. The so-called "low prices" that you get when you shop at Wal-Mart actually are only low because your tax dollars have paid for the rest...

Watch the documentary for an introduction into the kinds of business practices this company engages in. And then do what people in New York have been doing for years: reject any kind of proposal that talks of bringing yet another fucking Wal-Mart into your area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker