Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Moving On In…

As Zulay, Justine, and myself settled into our new place this past week, among the many things that we questioned, there was one topic I kept on revisiting over and over again in my head every single time I opened up the door to the apartment, or tried to close the door to my room…

“…Who was the stupid fuck who designed the doors to this house!?”

Yes, people…welcome to the antics that have become a staple in my life since I embarked for London…

As I relish the breeze that is entering from my window, I can’t help but laugh at the fact that the only reason why it’s open is because I shoved a hammer underneath it to keep it open. Or how neither of us can really close our doors because some carpenter forgot his measurements and made the doors too big to close properly. We can’t forget the fact that up until an “emergency” run to Target, we didn’t have anything to sit on in the house outside of a surprisingly decent sofa provided to us by our landlord. (How were we supposed to do homework in our rooms without chairs to sit at our desks?) There’s also the whole “washer and dryer” thing downstairs, where, although we do have a washing machine and a dryer in the basement of our house, we have to wait for the right time of the day to go in and have some sort of fighting chance against the 800 species of spiders lurking underneath.

But the best thing, by far, is the fact that Justine and Zulay have vents coming from their rooms that are large enough for anyone located in the living room to be able to see and hear what’s going on from inside. We were actually forced to test whether or not we could hear one another from the living room if we were breaking buns with another person. The test went a little something like this…

“Aight, go in your room….good…now, sing the Greek Alphabet…”

“Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta…”

“Yeah, I hear you.”

Because, you know, during the heat of the moment, instead of screaming your name, or “God,” they’ll instead be shouting the Greek Alphabet.

Yesterday, we were cooking some pasta for dinner, which, y’know, ain’t exactly groundbreaking. Of course, leave it up to my luck for the shit to turn into something quite different. Just from boiling water, one by one, our smoke alarms went off, sending a piercing shrill noise into our ear drums, and causing us to run around like headless chickens searching for the sources of our problems. It didn’t help that, being new to the place ‘n’ all, we had no idea where the alarms were located. So, by the time we found one and deactivated it, another one screamed for attention…

“HOW MANY FUCKING ALARMS DO WE HAVE!!!”

It was steam, folks. Not a single trace of smoke. At least we’ll be real safe when an actual fire breaks out…if we don’t break them first…

…When I tell people from SU where I live, they all say, “DAMN! You out there!” The truth is that I live closer to campus than I did when I lived at South Campus. If I ever had to walk from South to Main campus, it would take roughly 45 minutes to an hour to get there, whereas the walk from my current place to Main campus is 15-20 minutes. The difference, however, is the fact that there were a whole lot more buses heading to South than there are to my place now, therefore forcing us to walk everywhere. Thus far, it’s really not that bad, but it certainly does take a lot of getting used to…it’s going to be interesting seeing how that walk is going to go when the brunt of winter hits the Cuse.

…I still haven’t fully moved in yet. The majority of my stuff is still sitting in Morgan’s place, waiting for me to get together some form of transport to get my stuff from Point A to Point B. I can’t wait to have my stuff together in one place for the first time since I left for London. All my books, pots and pans, bedding stuff, and room amenities are in those boxes. The sooner I can get them, the better off I’ll be.

I officially get internet next week, along with digital cable, on 9/11, of all days. Currently, however, I’m taking advantage of a stray wireless internet signal to handle my day to day communications. (Sharing is caring. :-D ) Before that “ah ha” moment when we found internet signals, all three of us were dying without the internet. We felt so disconnected from the world. It’s sickening. I’ve gotten so used to the internet, that I’m actually DEPENDENT on it…that’s freaking scary. At least I can remember the time when the internet wasn’t around…but what’s going to happen to those kids that grew up knowing nothing else but life with the internet? What’s going to happen when they encounter a situation when they won’t have internet service for two weeks? It’ll prolly be something done on the next generation’s version of “Fear Factor…”

So, little by little, despite some of the quirks, we’re getting adjusted to living in the house. Soon enough, we’ll be doing just fine, living in our decked out apartment anyone would want to chill in…barring, of course, that they don’t boil water…J

4 Comments:

Blogger Social MZ said...

hahahahahaha, gotta love our house :-)

Zulay

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, your place sounds charming...I can imagine you running into a problem and having to have Zulay help you with the solution, It's so funny it brings tears to my eyes...ha ha ha

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude if you're screaming the Greek alphabet while you're having sex then you're either doing something wrong or she's the greatest Greek you've ever had!lol As for the doors..you don't need a master's to be a construction worker...just start sanding then down and eventually they'll close!haha Sam

11:32 AM  
Blogger Jose Vilson said...

Glad I was able to witness all of this first-hand ::blinks::

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker