Thursday, October 28, 2004

A "Curse" Lifted, Another Placed

I experienced a rather surreal moment the other evening, when, while working at the 'Fucks, I saw a shitload of people running from SU campus and heading in my direction (or at least, Marshall Street). All of them were screaming at the top of their lungs, replete with huge smiles on their faces, and decked out in red. I shook my head in disbelief. It could only mean one thing.

The Red Sox won the World Series.

I ran outside to see if pigs were flying and searched the horizon for an incoming meteor, but found no such thing. Instead, all I saw was the moon, marked with a lighter hue of red, ironic, considering the situation. A Lunar Eclipse happened on the day the Red Sox won the World Series. It was definitely a signal that something happened within the heavens. Sure, there was the 86 year old "curse" that was set on the Red Sox all those years ago when they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees, but now, another curse had to come replace it.

The Curse of the Moose.

See, it's quite simple. Ever since Mike "Moose" Mussina came to the Yankees after the triumph over the Mets in 2000, the Yankees have yet to win a title. That bastard Mussina, despite his somewhat decent track record with the Yankees over his past few seasons, has yet to be the overtly dominant pitcher he was supposed to be when he joined the staff. He was the guy the Yankees acquired to become the Ace of the vaunted Yankees pitching staff whenever Roger Clemens' roller coaster ride of a tenure with the Yankees ended. And, though he has been good, he hasn't been overtly dominant. Now, while I can't blame Mussina for the four losses we've had in the playoffs the past four years, nonetheless, it just makes sense considering how all this "Curse" stuff is tossed around.

People want to say it's all about "Giambi's Curse". Nah, it's the Curse of the Moose. Don't get it twisted. No one's talking about the demise of Yankee batting, now are they? It's all about Yankee PITCHING...

(Note: I'm just trying to find answers for the impossible, that's all. I really do like Mike Mussina. Honest. :-) )

So the Red Sox are the World Series Champions. Now, for those people who either aren't into baseball, or aren't from the East Coast, this is a big fucking deal. And it's rather surreal. No more, "1918" chants. No more pictures of Babe Ruth hanging from the rafters of Yankee Stadium when the Red Sox play. An entire aspect of the traditional Red Sox-Yankees rivalry has been completely wiped away.

But no matter what, the Sox will always suck. And one day, 80 years later, fans in the Bronx will be chanting "2004", when the Red Sox play them. Because, it will take another 3/4's of a Century for them to win another title.

So..."Who's Your Daddy?" :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, at least i give you credit, you stand by your team. 2 weeks ago 1/2 of NY was like "GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!" and now, suddenly, the Red Sox are everybody's favorite team. This is what I'd like to call "unstable loyalty", and its fucked up. -Anna

2:07 PM  
Blogger .. said...

Hey, but of a random comment but ah well,

Wow - I was all like "whay, visitors to Europe enjoying their time!" when I found a blog about it. And then you linked it one about London, which is a fucking A-class blog man! I live in the countryside (grrr, so very boring) nowhere near London but I go there inferquently and totally identify with what your said about it all. I'm guessing you liked it there, which is cool. I live about 45 minutes away from Bath though, and applied to universities near there actually which is cool. Anyways, I read like all the way from January 04 to June 04, all the Europe stuff. Fucking hilarious man! Like all the stuff about Italy, some of my family lives there, near Venice, and I've been to everywhere but Rome (and am wondering, hmm doesn't sound too great actually). And I was laffing my arse of about Amsterdam and the bus ride, its well easy to freeride on mainland Europe but if you get caught (bad experience in Venice last year) your bollocked. Which reminds me! English sayings, I thought that thing you said about 2 blokes (tsk, more english sayings) was funny. And the guy in the supermarket asking who you voted for. Don't be angry by that, its our weird way of showing we care about America by worrying about Bushs's freakish power. Pity he was re-elected, seems a bit stupid but hey, Blair is a twat as well (ooh and what you said about c*nt - dude, that word is like, hyper-bad to say, even in London which is "hard", so if you come back don't spout that to anyone too young or too old :S Lol. I felt sorry about the flat, London house prices are crazy :( but live in the country and their cheaper! (apart from Bath, which is again expensive). And the TATE modern is fucking amazing, amen with that, I've been there both times I've recently visited London.

Incidentally, when I linked my blog for Zero 7, one of my fave bands, yours came up somehow - Zero 7 are AMAZING! So good you like them. Go on my blog, I just got back from Belgium with my parents (arg. But my bruv (english word!) too, so all good (english saying!) and have written about it if you're planning on going there. www.finishlast.blogspot.com

See yuz, Sam.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker