Monday, January 03, 2005

Top 10 Most-Played Songs of December 2004 (and more)

December marks the end of the wonderful year that was 2004. In the year that saw so much change for me personally, beginning with my life-changing trip to London and my break-up with Chiyo, to starting my last year of college and turning 21, December is a fitting end to the "Year of Change" as I have come to know it. This month was ALL about finals, with two little holidays thrown in for good measure. Check out the top songs that made me want to hit the replay button again and again.

10. "Mmmnnn" by GrandadBob, off the "Waltzes for Weirdos" album. (last month, #2)

9. "Grazed Knees" by Snow Patrol, off the "Final Straw" album. (NEW)

8. "I Do" by Jude, off the "No One is Really Beautiful" album (NEW)

7. "Don't Panic" by Coldplay, off of the "Parachutes" album (last month, #8)

6. "One Flight Down" by Norah Jones, off of the "Come Away With Me" album (NEW)

5. "Shoot the Moon" by Norah Jones, off of the "Come Away With Me" album (NEW)

4. "Suenos" by Juanes, off of the "Mi Sangre" album (last month, #5)

3. "Somersault" (The Dangermouse Remix) by Zero 7 feat. Doom, off of the "Somersault" single (NEW)

2. "Confianzas" by Gotan Project, off of the "Inspiracion" album (NEW)

1. "Seven Years" by Norah Jones, off of the "Come Away With Me" album (unchanged)

For the first time since I've been doing my "Top-10," the #1 song remains unchanged. Norah Jones' "Seven Years", as well as the rest of her first album, keeps me coming back for more as I search for some kind of connection to life when it was less complicated and more "black and white." I mean, doesn't everybody wish that life was easier when you have a crapload of work to do and not enough time to do it? :-)

As for the rest of the songs on the top-10, we had a few strays from last month that I can't seem to get out of my head. Of course, we got some new ones. Probably one of the more infectious ones comes from the Gotan Project...then again, almost everything they do is infectious. They've got such a unique sound that takes some South American Latino elements, blends it with a four-beat, and throws in a pinch of Marxist ideology, and BAM, you've got Gotan Project. Check 'em out, if you haven't already. The Danger Mouse remix of Zero 7's "Somersault" is another awesome track. You might just find yourself bumping this when you just want to chill and listen to a hot beat.

So that's all for December...but wait, there's more!

Since it's the end of the year, I figured it would be cool to announce the first annual Daily Musings' "Most Played Artist of the Year" and the "Most Played Song of the Year."

Most-Played Artist of the Year: John Mayer

There was never a doubt as to who dominated my playlists during 2004, particularly during the first half of the year. While garnering some kind of spot on my Top-10 during 6 out of 12 months, Mayer's tracks scored #1 twice this year ("Neon" and "My Stupid Mouth"). Plus, 10 completely different songs, spanning three albums, scored a Top-10 spot during those 6 months. John was the dude I turned to whenever I needed to sit back and hear someone else pour their heart out about some bitch girl who wronged them (or vice versa). So, hands down, John Mayer wins the first "Most Played Artist of the Year Award." If I see him around the way, I'll make sure to give him a handshake and tell him thanks for the tunes (what you expect? An actual award? Fuck that shit.)

Most-Played Song of the Year: "Burn" by Usher, off of the "Confessions" album.

Let me tell you how many times this song was played...when Michelle and I first heard this song in London, we put this damn thing on repeat so many times, that to this day, months later, even after not playing it ever again, no other song even comes close to touching this one in sheer playcount. We got sick of this song before it even became a single on the radio. For whatever reason, we were just enamored it. It became the theme song during our trip to Tenerife, and for awhile, became our anthem in London. "Let it Burn, bitch!!!" Will I play it again? Probably not for awhile. But regardless, this song wins the "Most Played Song of the Year" title. Congratulations.

Click on the following links to check out each month's top-10.

January 2004
Febuary 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker